Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Holiday Traditions

We all celebrate holidays differently. Traditions are important to have and pass on to our children.  I wanted to share a few of our family's Christmas traditions. 


One that I always had growing up was a Christmas tree.  It may sound like something typical that most families have, but when I was in high school and my father passed away, we did away with a lot of traditions (just too difficult I suppose).  So my mother sat us down and asked each of us children what holiday tradition we wanted to continue and she would do those every year, no matter what.  I chose having a Christmas tree and I continue that with my children even if we are not going to be home for Christmas.  We each get or make a new ornament every year, so the tree is quite meaningful for us.


Another tradition I grew up with and continue with my children is stockings.  This is another common tradition, but we just love it!  My mother made the stockings when we were very young (and now sells them in her Etsy shop).  I think filling people's stockings, then watching them open them is my favorite part of Christmas.


Finally, we do Christmas crackers which I believe is an English tradition.  I am not sure when it started, but it was one we added to our family's traditions as adults.  I think I bought some once and we all enjoyed it so much that it stuck.  This year, the kids and I made them and they have been so excited to give them to family and friends.  They are typically filled with a paper hat, a toy, candy...  We have also used lottery tickets or money, but this year it's all candy!

Please comment with traditions you and your family share.

3 comments:

  1. Traditions are the best!
    I love that the kids look forward to them every year.

    Ours is reading The Polar Express before bed on Christmas Eve...followed by s'mores!

    Always fun and yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids loved the Advent calendar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Christmas crackers look fun :)

    ReplyDelete