Friday, April 16, 2010

Etsy Feature - One of my Favorite Sellers!

I am excited to feature one of my personal favorites on Etsy - Sara of vintagebysaraliz.  I love antiques and vintage finds and so does Sara.  She has an amazing talent for putting pieces together to make something that is absolutely beautiful.  I hope you enjoy her work as much as I do and enjoy getting to know her a little.


How did you get started with your craft?

I had always loved vintage things and antiques, and had started collecting vintage buttons. I was using the vintage buttons in my scrapbooking, but always wished I could do more with them. One day I was looking through a magazine that featured women designers, and I saw the most fantastic vintage necklace designs made with vintage jewelry parts and buttons. I immediately knew I wanted to try it! I have been making jewelry and home decor for over a year now and I don't plan to stop!



 How do you get your inspiration for the pieces you make?

 My favorite part is digging through thrift stores, garage sales, and antique stores for inspiring objects and beautiful or unusual jewelry. If it grabs my attention, AND is a good price, I will buy it. When I sit down to work, I sort through items and group items together that compliment each other. I can't describe how it happens. I just experiment until something cool happens!



 What is your favorite project/thing to make and why?

I'd have to say my favorite projects are collage frames. I love creating a theme or story with the background and elements used.


 Tell me about your work with charity.

I chose to support "String of Pearls" when I was so moved by a story about a little baby, Stellan. Stellan's mom is a popular mom blogger who was told her unborn child would die of a heart condition. I've followed Stellan's story, and now he is an active toddler, completely healed of his condition! String of Pearls is an organization that MckMama (Stellan's mom) mentioned on her blog. It is a nonprofit organization that assists families with a fatal diagnosis of their unborn child.
I also support my church wherever I can. Being involved in ministry is very important to me. I have taken opportunities to speak in front of women's groups about their self worth in Christ, and hope to continue on this path of ministry.



What is one thing people would be surprised to know about you?

I am a musician and composer. Writing music is a real passion of mine, and one way I sort through my thoughts. I treasure those times at the piano.

She is not only an amazing artist, but a generous and caring person. I am so happy to share her wonderful work.  If you would like to visit Sara's shop, you can find it here: http://www.etsy.com/shop/vintagebysaraliz

2 comments:

  1. What a great interview! I absolutely adore the key necklace, it is just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely interview and I share Sara's love of buttons. Key necklace is very very pretty.

    ReplyDelete