Friday, April 9, 2010

Custom Orders with a One-of-a-Kind Shop

I have accepted custom orders in my shop since I opened.  Because almost all of my items are one-of-a-kind that poses some challenges, but it is possible!  Here are a couple of shelves I did as a custom order for a wonderful customer who wanted multiple white shelves.

Most of my items are also upcycled, so I have to work with what I have on-hand or can get quickly.  So for the shelf order, she wanted white wood shelves with a shabby chic look.  I had 1 in my shop, but she needed 2 more.  She liked one shelf I had in my shop, but it was yellow.  I was able to repaint it for her in white and send pictures of 2 other shelves I had yet to paint.  She picked the one she liked and I painted it white and lightly distressed it as requested.



Another return customer wanted spice racks and I happened to have 2 on-hand.  I sent her the pictures below and they fit what she wanted. 













She wanted the smaller one painted light purple and the larger one black and both distressed.  I did not have light purple paint, but what a great opportunity for me to grow in terms of colors.  So I bought the paint and everyone was happy!















I really enjoy custom order even though sometimes I am unable to accomodate.  I quickly get back to people so that they know what I can do and can't and if we work together, and sometimes compromise, it works wonderfully for everyone.  If it won't work, they know what I can do in the future, but can move on to find what they are looking for.

Offering one-of-a-kind pieces is very special and important to me, but for it to be exactly what the customer would visualize is even better!

3 comments: