Thursday, March 24, 2011

My Quick Home Improvement Project

I love wood...possibly something to do with being born and raised in Oregon. So a few years back when it was time to buy a new front door for our home, I had to have a wooden door - unfinished! My husband liked metal for the security, but I wanted wood. The sales people recommend painting it, but I like the wood so I insisted on staining and sealing it for beauty of it. They insisted it would be a lot of work to maintain, but they don't know me. I love painting which is basically what staining is, but with a slightly different medium. You do have to keep up with re-staining and sealing and sometimes sanding it, but to me it's worth it!


Upon returning from vacation the other day, our front door welcomed us home looking a little shabby (and not in the good way). So I got out my stain and a brush and got to work. Thankfully we had a rare sunny day - important as you don't want it to be too cold or wet (or too hot for that matter) when you stain.


It will need to be sanded the next time I refinish it, but this time I simply cleaned the door and used and stain and seal in one product. I use a lighter color stain as we have a darker color house and the light door really pops. Simply put a light amount of stain onto your brush (I like to use foam) and "paint" the surface going in the direction of the grain of the wood.


I love the finished product which was almost dry in this picture.  It is not only important to me because it is our front door, but also because it is the background of almost all of the pictures in my shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment